Land Use, Zoning & Permits
The Town of Birnamwood is under Shawano County Planning Development & Zoning Department jurisdiction.
Shawano County Permit Appointment Requirement
Call 715-526-6766 direct line or 866-526-2128 toll free switchboard.
Building a New Home?
- » Land should be properly zoned. Call Shawano County Planning Development & Zoning Department.
- » A soil test should be the very first step and should be done before the lot is even purchased. This should be done with your septic contractor.
- » It is the property owner's responsibility to check with the DNR, Army Corps of Engineers or Shawano County Planning Development & Zoning Department if there is the possibility of their project being constructed in a wetland area or adjacent to a navigable stream.
- » Most land divisions/creation of land parcels require a certified survey map or a subdivision plat to be submitted to the County Planning Development & Zoning Department for review and approval
Call 715-526-6766 or 1-866-526-2128.
Permit requirement for building in the Town of Birnamwood:
Town of Birnamwood does not issue driveway or culvert permits for Town Roads. If you live on a County Highway, contact Shawano County Highway Department — 715-526-9182. If you live on a State or Federal Highway, contact Wisconsin Department of Transportation — 715-365-5752.
- » Obtain 911 address from Shawano County Planning & Development.
- » Sanitary permit. A licensed plumber will submit application to Shawano County Planning & Development.
- » Land use permit. Contact Shawano County Planning & Development.
- » UDC permit. Contact Mike Block at 715-490-4049 for new 1 & 2 family dwellings only.
Forms and Information for Building Sites can be found on the Shawano County website.
Land Use Permits
Required land use permits must be obtained prior to beginning a construction or relocation project. After-the-fact permits will be charged a double fee.